Hocus Pocus, Take A Look Into My Crystal Ball....



NWA MEC President, Kevin Griffith, stated in his letter dated, 09 Feb 2008 at 12:12 am (really working late!)


"I do not have a crystal ball. I cannot predict what next week may bring about for certainty"



Well let us look into the crystal ball and what do we see..........


The AFA team has been very busy at work [note Griffiths e-mail time] the past few days, as they have e-mailed a carefully scripted communique just about every day. The long ago demand for information, strategy and effective communication seems to have finally reached AFA Central. The message is loud and clear, AFA was pressured to develop a more effective plan of action and quickly.



Hundreds of flight attendants filled with frustration, angst and anxiety have inquired and demanded answers from their union. As a result, a flurry of activity has originated from headquarters resulting in the single largest barrage of communication from AFA, ever (well, unless you count campaigning!) Thanks to each of you, some answers are forthcoming and a little light is beginning to shine through.




But why now? Many members have been asking lots of important questions of NWA AFA for quite sometime. What is our plan? Our strategy? Why are we not hearing anything? What happens if we merge? My concerns are not being addressed. These are just a few of those important questions asked and often with no response. With the recent media speculation increasing of a possible merger within weeks, AFA still had failed to deliver.




Suddenly, with the online downloading of the Delta "Policy Manual", the pressure increased tenfold. Now a group of rogue flight attendants were taking matters into their own hands to get the information out to the Northwest flight attendants. It suddenly could not be suppressed anymore and had to be addressed NOW. Knowledge is power.




Just a side note, AFA Central has been paying Danny Campbell, Mollie Reilley , et al to conduct a representation campaign at Delta. And during the past year, AFA has failed to acquire a copy of the Delta "Policy Manual" to use to find weaknesses, so they can convince the Delta flight attendants to join AFA ? Come on. If they did have a copy of the Delta "Policy Manual", one could imagine AFA Central had a dilemma: In the interest of the membership "do we suppress the information?" or "do we share the contents with other councils (even though it is better than their existing contract) and face anger." Sadly, we suspect the answer. Suppress.


It became evident, very quickly, AFA was suddenly forced to deal with the Delta "Policy Manual" going public and the resulting barrage of questions. Flight attendants were finally able to see for themselves what the Delta "Policy Manual" contained and some of what it contained was substantially better than their existing AFA negotiated contract. Now the possibility of a merger along with the wrath of the Northwest flight attendants wasn't good. Suddenly, a whole campaign for representation could be in jeopardy.



I have stated from the beginning, I am not anti-union. Let me say that again: I am NOT anti-union. However, I do demand accountability and believe every dues paying member is owed that. When a union consistently fails to deliver that accountability or answer membership's concerns or conducts their business with fear tactics or careless disregard, then it is even more important to voice concern.




As to what the future holds, Griffith is correct. That remains uncertain. However, one thing is certain, during all this aviation uncertainty; AFA Central must conduct a more strategic, knowledge-based, fear-free and truthful information campaign if they wish to continue to hold on to the endorsement of their membership and continue to bring new labor recruits onboard.




That's what appears in my crystal ball, anyway.









4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michael,
Do you honestly believe that the AFA has some secret inside scoop as to what our future is and that they are purposefully holding back information or not gathering information on purpose. Why don't you volunteer to do union work and then you will have a less biased opinion. I think it's funny and pathetic that you think, "My personal concerns are not being met". This union is not about your self centered and obiviously influenced concerns. It is about the concerns of 9000+ flight attendants. We are getting information in a timely manner. Who cares what Delta's policy manual is or isn't. We won't suddenly be working under it. And unless you are a Delta flight attendant there is no way any of us at NW could understand the in's and out's just like they have no idea what it is like to fly under our contract. You're making a big deal about nothing!! We'll find out what to do if we merge when and if we merge. Bitching and complaining when you DON'T pitch in is cowardly. The MEC and our LEC work for no pay and I think they are doing the best job possible. Don't you think maybe a little positive engergy would be better than your self centered bitching blog??

Anonymous said...

Dear Anonymous,
Thanks for your insight. I support your right to oppose my views and make such comments on the blog.The majority of those visiting this site do not seem to support your views; nor the hundreds of NWA flight attendants who have sent me e-mails after the Delta files went up!In either event, just a couple of points. I did volunteer (more than 3 weeks ago) and still await being contacted. And doubtful I will be. Like it or not, AFA has become an exclusive club and if you disagree with AFA or display any type of legtimate concerns or issues you are ignored or better yet others "blackball" you, consider you an "enemy" and undermine your efforts.....Just ask why certain Union officials refuse to attend any meeting (regarding mergers) where former union officials were present (PFAA President Guy Meek) AFA speaks of being "inclusive", but their actions show otherwise, yet another failure. And who, I might ask, is being harmed by such antics? The Northwest flight attendants who may gain insights for a possible merger by inviting EVERYONE; IBT, PFAA, Republic, NWA Orient....In the best interest of everyone!AFA preaches a good word....it's always everybody elses fault!! Well, as we listen on the line and hear the experience of others, it obviously is something more......In regards to the Delta information. This information was probably in AFA hands long ago, and their suppression of that information, in my opinion, was wrong. When I gained access to the files, I felt the most important issue was getting the information to you and the other Northwest flight attendants, you be the judge.Your statement regarding my posting the words "My personal concerns are not being met" as selfish, is commentary on some of the failures and lack of strategy of AFA. I have been writing AFA asking for a strategy for more than 2 months!!Silence. I can only "blog" about my personal experiences and not the 8,999 other Northwest flight attendants.Sadly, you are mistaken if you believe LEC and MEC "work for no pay". Millions a year in their coffers from every hard working dues paying member pay for that greedy money mongering operation! And your leaders are handsomely paid (some greater than others, I might add).... Just ask Shawn Fivecoat, Memphis LEC President, why he keeps getting his entire line compensated for? By the way, your union dues will be going up on June 1st- an entire 10%.Thanks again for your time and as you speak of "cowardly", may I leave you with this; I stand for my principles with my name and signature and not behind an anonymity! Who, may I ask is a coward? Not I. Best Regards.


Febuary 10, 2008 8:36 PM

Anonymous said...

I admit the choice of my words was wrong. I didn't mean to call you a coward, I have worked with you in the past and seen you in action and if I was ever in an accident I would be glad that you were on my crew. I guess what I meant was that to complain about who's running the show with out running yourself is...less than brave. As far as me being a coward because I choose to post anonymously...your the one that has the anonymous button on your blog site. And in a blog it's not important who says what, it's whats being said that is important. That's basic Blog Michael. Personally I don't give a dam what any other LEC president does or doesn't do. I don't care about the Guido in BOS or Fivecoat in MEM. That is the problem of the FA's based in those bases. If they don't like their leadership then they should elect other leaders. It just seems to me that you are throwing a fit because of a merger that hasn't even happened yet. What information could the AFA give us that would make any difference in our lives at this time? Let them do their jobs without harrassing them for a strategy that you obviously are going to disagree with anyway. And I'm a little suspicious of this blog by the way, it doesn't seem to be soley by you Michael, it seems that someone else is feeding you information to blog about. I would think that you would just be happy that we might merge with a bigger airline that flies to Brazil, that we are finally going to get the horrible reputation of "Northworst" off our backs and move on with a global carrier. Think of all the new routes and new bases and new friends that we are going to get. Think of all the opportunities that you will have now for your second career. Why are you so upset with the AFA all of the sudden? It amazes me that NW FA's are NEVER happy, we fight with each other constantly while the company just laughs at us. We are with the biggest Flight Attendant union in the world, work with it!!!

February 11, 2008 8:40 AM

Anonymous said...

I believe credibility begins by signing your name and standing behind your message. All the commentary, views and opinions expressed on this blog are my own. I am not upset by a merger, quite to the contrary, I eagerly await the opportunity, as I hope do you. We shall agree to disagree, however, on the stewardship and organizational management of our union and the role each of us play. That's ok......Thanks for your comments and thanks again for visiting!! Regards.

February 11, 2008 10:29 AM